A close friend surprised me recently with a copy of the "Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen", and it instantly became my new fav. The recipes are easy and delicious!... my criteria for cooking. I also love a recipe that gives you the flexibility to adapt to your particular cravings and use ingredients you already have in your pantry!
I tried this granola recipe out at my blog party a few weeks ago. It was a huge hit and simple to throw together for a healthy treat.
So I wanted to share it:
- 2 ½ cups of rolled oats
- 1 ½ - 2 cups of chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruits, unsweetened coconut (add more for a heartier texture)
- ⅓ cup of grade B maple syrup
- 3 - 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- One tablespoon of cinnamon or your choice of spices like: vanilla bean powder, nutmeg, turmeric, cayenne, cardamom, ginger powder and cacao powder
- Pinch of Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300
- Combine all ingredients and toss
- Spread on parchment paper in a thin even layer
- Bake until crisp and browned, 25 - 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes
- Let cool and firm up for about an hour before serving or storing
Throw mixture in milk or yogurt and fruit for breakfast, toss in a salad for lunch, ideal to-go snack, or my ultimate treat - on top of homemade cashew ice cream!