Yes, why not!
My motivation to try this started with three things:
1) A gift of essential oils - from one of my yoga students.
2) Reading a blog post - from one of my favorite blogs. HELLO GLOW
3) And a homemade chai candle - a dear friend made me.
...and my daughter Christian was home. Yea!
I’ve never been much of a DIY person. But my daughter LOVES candles, especially the lovely and expensive Diptyque Paris ones, so I thought why not give DIY a try?
If you want a DIY a candle too, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 14-15 ounces of soy wax flakes per candle
- Spices (ground ginger, cardamon, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg), or at least 25 drops of essential oils (lavender, peppermint, lemongrass, orange citrus)
- Two 1/2 pint canning jar
- Chopsticks or skewers
- Glass measuring cup (or double boiler) for melting wax
Then you need to do this:
- One glass of wine. Not for the candle, but for you :)
- Place wax flakes in the glass measuring cup in the microwave and melt.
- Dip the end of the candle wick into the melted wax and adhere to the bottom of the jar. Wrap the wick around the chopstick into the melted wax and adhere to the center of the bottom of the jar to keep wick centered.
- Stir wax and add spices for a Chai candle or essential oils alone or combined.
- Pour wax into jars, let cool and trim wick.
- Give it away or enjoy it yourself!
Now I have the gift of time and a memory with my daughter…and a plethora of candles!