I finally hung my American flag this week, just in time to celebrate the 4th of July, that annual time to celebrate our birthday with food, fun, and friends.
My patriotic treat, (vanilla ice cream topped with raspberries and blueberries) will cool you off, taste amazing and is good for you!
Hope you enjoy this vegan ice cream recipe. I fell in love with it years ago at a cooking class at Whole Foods.
2 cups of raw cashews (creamier if soaked for several hours)
2 cups of water
¼ cup of maple syrup
¾ cup of agave nectar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1. Blend cashews, water, maple syrup, agave and vanilla in high-speed blender until smooth.
2. Taste in case you want more sweetener (I use less when making for myself to cut back on calories as I tend to eat the entire batch)
3. Pour into a container and freeze for about an hour.
4. Place into an ice cream maker for about 20 – 30 minutes. (I bought a $30 ice cream maker just for this recipe)
5. Top with your favorite toppings, but for 4th of July, raspberries or strawberries and blueberries are a must.
You can freeze leftovers, (but there won't be any) and much better served soft. Or add fresh mint, lavender oil, cacao chips, nuts, or coconut.
You can substitute the cashews with other nuts like almonds or macadamia, but cashews are the best in my opinion.